Friday, September 25, 2009

I AM TRULY BLESSED....

SELAMAT HARI RAYA - EID MUBARAK 1430H

I want to apologize to my JB friends for not being able to see you all during this year's Hari Raya. I have my reasons and those who take a few minutes to read this blog, I thank you.

I went back to JB from KL early Saturday Morning (19.09.2009). On the highway from KL-Nilai, there was this massive traffic jam. When we reached somewhere in Nilai area, we saw a truck on the other side of the highway. Without fail, every festive season, road accidents escalated. I cautioned my sister to drive safely. We made it to JB safe.
ACCIDENT

I was thinking, this Hari Raya I will try to see as many friends as I could. The luxury I do not have lately.

The first day of Hari Raya, as usual, my family will go to Grandparents' place in Segamat. A humble place in one of the "FELDAs" there. No definite plan was made on how long we were supposed to stay in Segamat. I told my parents since I had limited leave, I must make way to visit MY own friends whom I have not seen in a while and we should be headed back to JB by Tuesday. My sister got a little annoyed as well as my mother. I sensed the tension there so I said,"O well, let's play it by ear".

My mum and dad made plans to visit some of our relatives in Pahang. In my head I was like,"What the...?" However, I know my parents.. family is key. Slowly I felt, I should give it a go. So we went to Pahang, the 3rd largest state in Malaysia. We went to Felda Sungai Nerek to my Grandma's younger sister place. The couple who are in their 70s looked happy to see us even though they were a little frail. They live very humbly with very little to offer us for Hari Raya celebration. We asked about their children and told us they hardly come by lately. They forgivingly told us that their children were too busy with their own family. I was moved with how 'difficult' their lives must have been.

Then we went to visit one of their children's house which was about an hour apart. They live in an old beat up pre war "Keretapi Tanah Melayu" quarters. They have no TV, no furniture, just mattresses to sleep in, one gas stove, a rice cooker, a few cups, saucers, a motorbike courtesy of some good samaritans..I can go on with what they don't have because it was so darn easy to see from the bareness of their house. As I was trying to put on a straight face when they were such a great host, I simply could not contain myself and excused myself to the 'toilet' outside the house to effing cry. I felt like I was on that TV3 episode of "Bersama Mu".

If I would have known that I would be coming to this place, I would have brought more money with me, brought some unused clothes or buy some groceries for them...anything, anything that would have made their lives a little more easier to bare. In 2009, there are still people who live in hardship. Nevertheless, this hit me in the head that I must stop complaining about my blessed life. I must appreciate everything that I have in this world, cherish every moment I have with the people I love, grateful with the food and clothes I have everyday, grateful with my excellent health and a roof above my head. Every day shall be a miracle...

I thank mum for insisting on us going to see our not so fortunate relatives. Sorry my homies, we shall reconvene another time.

Once again, SELAMAT HARI RAYA, MAAF ZAHIR BATIN.

Give it to the needy, not the greedy.

love
AT

2 comments:

Joey D. said...

Very interesting story. Sounds like this trip opened your eyes a little. It just proves that money and material objects are not needed to live a humble life. A rule that I try to live by. "Give it to the needy, not the greedy" love it. Yes, family is key.

Joe

FunkeeDeeva said...

Thanks Joe!

TOO MUCH HAS HAPPENED TOO LITTLE TIME

I stopped blogging for a bit since I last moved to my birth place in end October 2021. 5 Months after, only I could bring myself to write so...